The operations conducted in 1966 continued, for the most part, in 1967, provided the battalion with continued
experience, became more skilled in conducting the various missions assigned to them – patrolling, ambushes, cordon
and sweeps. Offensive operations at the beginning of the year, were conducted North of the Village of Bong Son in
the Bong Son Plains, in II Corps area. During the February Operation, PFC James H. Monroe, a medical corpsman
in C Co, earned the second Medal of Honor awarded to the 8th Cavalry in Vietnam, by diving on a grenade and
absorbing the blast, he saved the lives of several of his comrades. Continuing operations in the Bong Song Plains, Co
D stood off a Viet Cong attack on their night defensive perimeter which resulted in 19 Viet Cong killed. Moving from
the plains to the Cay Gier mountains along the coast, the 8th Cavalry continued to demonstrate its capabilities and
flexibility to fight in rugged terrain. The battalion continued to inflict grievous losses on the Viet Cong as the enemy
was sent reeling in every major contact with the battalion. The year was closed out with fierce fighting by Co C
through the Dai Dong area. After a two day battle through the village, the enemy left behind 204 dead.

In addition to providing security and pacifying the land, the battalion was experimenting with new tactics including
psychological operations and medical assistance to villagers. Improving old techniques, the use of aerial rocket
artillery and air strikes were increased. Proving to be highly mobile, the battalion during November assumed the
responsibly of the entire 1st Brigade area of operations, as the remainder of the brigade was operating with the 4th
Infantry Division.
Charlie Company 1967
Hanoi Reds put price on HEAD of Cpt. Paul Ogg
Leader of TOUGH 1/8 Cav Unit!
The government of Communist North Vietnam have offered a reward for the death or capture of Capt. Paul C. Ogg,
US Army, of Greenfield, decorated Vietnam Combat Veteran of any Infantry Unit that is so feared by the Hanoi
forces they have given it the awesome title of
"Death From Above" company.

The 31 year old soldier in a letter March 13th to his father and sister disclosed that "Hanoi Hannah" a North
Vietnamese propagandist (remember WW II Tokyo Rose?) had announced the reward offer.

Captain Ogg also revealed he had been wounded for the second time. The letter from a hospital in South Vietnam,
excerpts follow: "Everythings going well. Hope to leave the hospital in a few days. The wound is healing nicely, but
too slowly.

"I am now an International Figure with some stature. Hanoi announced the other night over the radio that a
$5,000.00---50.000.00 reward would be paid for the death or capture of the Commanding Officer of the
"Death From
Company. I guess we are really burning "Old Charlie. Couldn't make out exact price on my head, but
everyone got a thrill out of it here in the hospital.

"Capt. Ogg informed his family of being wounded again in a March 2 letter. "Well, I've been wounded again, but not
bad. A piece of shrapnel from a mine hit me in the lower back when one of our officers stepped on it, North of Bong  
Song. He was hit pretty hard but will eventually recover 100%. I will be here 10 to 15 days, so am just enjoying the
rest and comfort. I may put on a pound or two while I am here.

Capt. Ogg was first wounded last Oct 28 when he was struck by a rifle bullet in the thigh while taking part in the
evacuation of a wounded soldier. He was hospitalized.

Earlier this year he spent some time in a rest area in Hawaii. He wrote his family on Feb 12th and asked his family to
look for an article in the May-June or July issue of True Magazine. "They did a story of my Company and why we
were known as the
"Death From Above" Company.

The Officer has sent home a Jan 14th issue of "Cavalair" a 1st Cav Division publication, which contained the
following article about Capt. Ogg and his men.

"With less than 24 hours remaining until the beginning of the New Years Cease Fire Period, Co C of the 1st
Battalion, 8th Cavalry was moving along the valley floor at the base of a 1,500 foot mountain, 40 miles Northeast of
LZ Hammond. As the company moved into the mountain it was fired upon by a machine gun near the peak. Capt.
Ogg started moving men up the mountain side, but 75mm Recoilless Rifle fire forced their retreat to the valley floor.
Ogg then called for heavy artillery and tactical fighter air on the mountain, and A1E Sky Raiders came in to strafe
the area. Following the strikes, the company pushed about three quarters up the mountainside, finding enemy
equipment and weapons which had evidently been blown apart by the artillery and TAC air strikes. At nightfall the
company set up a perimeter and spent the night on the mountainside. During the night, four enemy soldier, one so
shell-shocked he did not know who or where he was, moved down the mountain and into the perimeter of Co A,
1/8th Cav who were waiting to give support to Co C if needed. Two of the four tried to escape and were killed. The
other two, including the shell-shocked one were captured without incident.

The next morning, Co C moved to the top of the mountain and found six NVA bodies plus web gear, ammunition
pouches, two carbines and several AK-47's

Capt. Ogg received his second Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster for "Heroic Action in South Vietnam last Fall.
Col K. Mertel
( JM 6, 2 Mar 02)
Charlie Co 1\8th Cav Viet Nam home page Operation Crazy Horse, Charlie Co 1\8th Cav Viet Nam Charlie Co 1\8th Cav 1965-66 History Charlie Co 1\8th Cav 1967 History Charlie Co 1\8th Cav 1968-69 History Charlie Co 1\8th Cav 1970-71 History Charlie Co 1\8th Cav Captain's page, Viet Nam Jumping Mustangs 1\8th Cav Home page Viet Nam
1st Sgt's page Charlie Co 1\8th Cav Photos pg1 Viet Nam Charlie Co 1\8th Cav 1965-66 Photos, Viet Nam Charlie Co 1\8th Cav Photos 1965-66 pg 2, Viet Nam Charlie Co photos 68-69 Charlie Co 1\8th Cav Photos 1970-71 Clarence mike mc dougall pics Carles Easterling pictures
History 1967
Roster nav bar 4